Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Jordan, Israel and the Liebster Awards

Hello dear sewers! Apologies for the radio silence for the past few weeks. I have been doing my best Indiana Jones impersonation and travelling through the Middle East.



The Treasury at Petra, including camels
Although I couldn't take the sewing machine with me (would have been handy though to fill in the time during the airport layovers in Singapore and Dubai), sewing did follow me over there, as the lovely Amy from sewamysew gave me a Liebster Award while I was away!  Thanks Amy :)


Rather than reinventing the wheel I have copied Amy's copy about the Award:


So what is the Liebster Award? 
“The Liebster Award is an award given to rising bloggers who have less than 200 followers. Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.”
The rules are:
  • You thank the person who nominated you! 
  • You answer the 11 questions posted by your nominator
  • You pass on the award to 11 new recipients
  • You post 11 new questions to your recipient bloggers
So here are Amy's questions and my answers:
  1. Why do you sew?  I like the mix of left and right brain activity that sewing requires. Patience, creativity, analytical skills, fine motor skills to unpick seams, more patience...
  2. What gets in the way of your sewing time?  Usually work. I find it hard to sew at night after work because my brain is in left gear thinking about contracts and litigation. However I'm on sabbatical at the moment so nothing gets in the way!  I wake up, engage right brain, and sew!
  3. What is in the background when you sew?  Mad Men DVDs or Florence and the Machine.
  4. Project you are most proud of?  The Hitchcock's Birds dress. If I do say so myself, it's pretty rad.
  5. Biggest project fail? The first cut of the Dress Made out of Sentences. I was so focused on making sure the words were absolutely straight that I cut the entire thing out upside down.
  6. Tea or coffee?  Coffee. I am so obsessed that if I travel to places where coffee is not in abundance (eg China) I take my own!
  7. Sewing aspirations or goals? More designing. When I lived in Sydney I had a teacher who taught me so much about pattern design. However I find that I try to design garments that are really complicated and end up half-finished.
  8. Favourite tool?  Quick unpick. Says it all really.
  9. Favourite pattern? I can't decide! I love them all.
  10. Describe a happy memory that tells us a bit about you? A few years ago Bruce, Assistant Couturier, had to have a tooth extracted. He was very woozy and crying when I picked him up from the vet so I installed him on the bean bag at home and slept on the couch next to him all night to make sure he was okay. I'm sure he thinks I'm nuts. My boss sure did, when I called him the next day to say I was working from home so that I could continue to keep an eye on my dog!
  11. Who do you want to win The Great British Sewing Bee final next week????  OMG what is this show and how did I not know about it?!?
And here are my nominations. I had trouble coming up with 11 new ones that have not already received an award or who have fewer than 200 followers! So this is my list.
  1. Cotton Creek Sewing  - dresses and dry humour. I love both.
  2. Sarah Liz  - design theory and experimentation of which I can't get enough.
  3. Sew Retro Rose  - fabulous retro dresses plus bonus cakes!
  4. Sunday Studio  - write more posts! 
Here are my questions for you:

  1. Why do you blog?
  2. What four words best describe you?
  3. What other blogs do you read every day? (They don't need to be sewing!)
  4. When do you sew?
  5. What inspires your creative streak?
  6. Do you have time for other interests and if so, what are they?
  7. Cats or dogs? (Had to ask of course!)
  8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
  9. Which designers do you like?
  10. How fantastic is Mad Men? (trick question ;) )
  11. And I'll steal one of Amy's questions 'cause I like it so much - describe a happy memory that tells us a bit about you?

The Middle East

To finish off this post I wanted to show you this photo, one of many taken by Jordanian schoolgirls at Jerash:


I'm the boring one without the veil
One of the things I enjoyed most about the trip was observing the huge array of colourful headscarves/veils that some Muslim women wear in Jordan. These chicks are no shrinking violets! Plain black was in the minority - you can see from the photo that just about anything goes in terms of colour. It's brilliant.

If you are wondering (as I was) whether these girls view the veil as a sign of oppression or weakness, they don't - most often it is a personal choice. As Queen Rania of Jordan says:


We should judge women according to what's going on in their heads, not what's on top of their heads. 

Shukran* for reading today's post!
(*It's Arabic for thank you)

No comments:

Post a Comment